Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Blogfolio- Final Assignment

Final Project: Blogfolio

1.      Introduction Video:

The very first day we had to find a partner to record ourselves introducing ourselves. The first thing I learned was to get over my shyness. I had to find a perfect stranger to record me talking about myself. After I overcame that, I encountered several issues. Being that I am not computer smart at all, this was my first chance to figure out what I did and did not know about technology. First off, I did not know how to transfer a video from my phone to the computer. My first attempt was emailing the video to myself and then downloading it to the computer then adding it to my blog. Since that did not work, I had to use a USB to transfer it straight to my downloads then to my blog. I will use this in my classroom by making my students get involved with one another.  Since my classroom will be of a high school, I will instead use the idea of communicating on the first day. This assignment met the “Design and Develop Digital –Age Learning Experiences and Assessments” by customizing a learning activity which was making the students find a partner and communicate with your classmates to develop your introduction video. Also we made a learning experience by completing an assignment. We use technological tools such as our phone and USB cords to complete our assignment. But we were not limited to how we had to upload the video, so we were able to use multiple ways to upload the video to our blogs.

2.      Concept Map:

This assignment tested my ability. I had to learn a new program on the desktop at first, which that is always the hardest part—figuring out how to use new equipment. Once I figured out the quirks of using the program, I was able to go through the assignment pretty quickly. Another issue I had was incorporating all the information I wanted to use but also using the Mississippi Education Kindergarten Standards. When I got the information prepared for the layout, creating my bubbles, adding color, lining everything up, and making sure all the requirements were included I was able to create an entire lesson plan from this concept map. I learned that using bubble maps and concept maps help with learning and being more organized. This was one of my favorite because it will be super useful in the classroom. This particular program will be used in my classroom very often because it uses organization and a layout that helps students learn the most important information.  While this assignment could fall under several of the standards, this assignment particularly calls out “Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity.” Creativity was the main aspect of this project, but also exploring the real world activities would be by including the standards in the assignment because being a teacher means that one must follow certain standards in all lesson plans, as like in this assignment. I had to use resources and other tools, yet think ahead, and plan for an assignment in my classroom.

3.      Web Tools:

Web tools was by far the most useful tool for my career as a future teacher. Having access to test makers and sites that create rubrics and surveys for you, is a helpful tool to make a teacher’s job easier. This assignment taught me to create tests and have answer keys in a simple way. Honestly, I did not know there was anything other than a Word Document for making tests. All teachers should be aware of these sites. I had trouble with trying to learn the steps for creating the tests. Even though the assignment was pretty self explanatory, I wanted to explore the sites to see what was all available that I could use in the future. With the help from my peers, I was able to complete my project and I felt confident that I could use it in my classroom in the future. This assignment met the “Model Digital-Age Work and Learning” standard. This standard was met by this assignment because we used technology as a teaching tool and learning purpose. We used technology and digital tools to create new resources for classroom activities such as quizzes, rubrics, and testing tools. I will definitely be using this in my classroom. I will use the source to build all of my tests and grading rubrics for projects. Web tools are useful and should be taught to all future teachers. Web tools are free and anyone can YouTube tutorials on how to get the most useful and effective information from the sites.


4.      Web Page:

The web page was also very useful for my future in teaching. Creating a web page will help me be a better teacher and a better communicator to my students’ parents. The web page was probably most difficult to me. Adding pages and creating a layout was hard for me. After a peer helped me add pages to my site, I used a basic layout but used creativity to spruce it up. I also searched a couple of other web pages for suggestions and idea which helped me find good examples of what I was trying to do. I will use this in my classroom by creating a site page that students and parents can refer back to for any information. A site page will eliminate late night emails or having to wait for responses.  “Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership” is the most suitable standard because creating a blog site for your classroom would be an example of growth in teacher promoting. Before technology became popular, teachers sent home letters and sometimes these letters would not get shown to the parents and they would be left in the unknown. With a web page, anyone can access any information or events coming up. I learn that by using multiple resources for parents to use, I can be the best teacher I can be because students will be more prepared at home for school activities. Web pages have many uses and I think all teachers and faculty should be taught to use web pages and provide a site for anyone who needs it.

5.      Google Groups:

Along with Web Tools, Google Groups is also very useful for anyone who needs to communicate about projects, group assignments, events coming up, or send out any information to specific people. We used this resource to gather a group together and discuss questions we asked one another. Also we put together a story through Google Groups. It was a great communication exercise and was helpful because we did not have one another’s numbers so communicating through Google Groups helped us with the completion of our project. We had trouble in the beginning adding everyone to the group message; once everyone was added to the group, we realized not everyone was getting the messages. So we had to start a new conversation, re-add everyone, and start the messages over. It took some time to figure out why everyone was not getting the messages and such but we finally got it figured out. I am not sure if I will use this much in my classroom (depending on the grade) because it may be kind of difficult for kindergarteners to message one another. But if I were to teach an eighth grade class, it could be useful to them for when they are in college and need to discuss stuff with other classmates. This assignment also met the “Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility” standard. Google Groups develops understanding of technological learning because it requires you to use several steps of engaging in the information needed to successfully use the system.

6.      My Movie:

My movie was my absolute FAVORITE assignment in this class. I know I had the most problems with it because it was a program I had never dealt with before and I was clueless when I first started. The only way for me to figure out how to use it was to play around on the program, mess with all the buttons, and see what everything did. After playing with it for two days, I was able to start my movie. After getting 90% of the project completed, I did not save it right and lost all of my work (three times). I had to redo everything and let Dr. Beedle show me the correct way to save it. I loved this project but if I am to use it in my classroom I will probably use PowerPoint because it is almost the same but more students are familiar with PowerPoint and it will be easier for them to use. This assignment was also a great way to learn about your classmates. This assignment best fit “Model Digital-Age Work and Learning” because we basically used a program that many people had never used before but was very similar to a well-known program and was able to use some of the knowledge we had of PowerPoint for Movie Maker. The fluency in common programs helped students complete the project without much guidance. This was a fun project and minus the issues some people had with saving or loading, it was nice to learn and have fun at the same time.


Overall Course Reflection:

            This course provided me with multiple assignments that allowed me to test my abilities to use technology in an educational manner, but also helped me extend my abilities in several ways. At the beginning of the semester, I had very little experience in computer technology other than the basic uses such as web searches, word documents, and social media; but this course has taught me how to get the best use of each element available for my benefit.
                My weakness was figuring out each assignment in the beginning. Learning how to use the techniques took longer than the actual assignment for me. Once I got the drift of the assignment and was able to figure out how to do each aspect, it was beneficial. My creativity was my strong point. My creativity covered the lack of experience I had with assignments I struggled with. Also the fact that I catch on fast allowed me to not get behind despite the extra time it took to figure out the assignment. By using my strong points, I was able to help develop my weak points. I was weak on certain assignments because I lacked knowledge and experience in some of its requirements. Catching on fast kicked my weakness and I was able to gain a lot of information from each assignment. The best way to improve my weak areas is to exercise my knowledge in each element more often. By using the techniques more often I can improve my skills.
                I plan to use technology in my classroom by allowing my students to use less paper and pencil and more computer and technology. The world is so revolved around technology today that a student cannot be too prepared for it. Being that I will be teaching lower than college, my goal will be to prepare students as much as possible for college level work since a good portion is computer revolved. I will use several elements that require students to learn more affective and useful apps that benefit themselves for future purposes.
                I believe that blogs in education are great because teachers and parents are able to communicate with one another. Blogs allow resources to be public to anyone whom wants to be involved in classroom plans and events. Parents can communicate with one another also and are able to discuss their children’s work with one another or help with assignments coming up. But blogs are also not necessary which does not make parents feel obligated to discuss things with others.
               



No comments:

Post a Comment